Ligon Duncan, pastor of First Presbyterian Church of Jackson, Mississippi, recently posted how he would like people, especially his congregation, to pray for him. I think the list is so good, I covet anyone doing the same for me. So here it is…feel free to pray these things for me as often as you like:
1. That Pastor Brett would know and love the living God, would have a saving interest in Christ, being purchased by His blood, and thus would be bound to the Lord by the indissoluble bond of the Holy Spirit.
2. That Pastor Brett would know, embrace and ever more deeply understand the Gospel and be shaped by it in life and ministry.
3. That Pastor Brett would be useful servant of the Lord, that he would know and love God’s word, God’s people, and God’s kingdom; that he would be used to build it up and so that it prevails even against Hell’s gates.
4. That Pastor Brett would study, practice and teach the Word of the Lord, by the grace of the Holy Spirit.
5. That Pastor Brett would love to pray, because he loves to commune with his God, and that he would be a man of prayer, characteristically.
6. That Pastor Brett would be ever dependent upon and filled with the Spirit; and that he would possess true Spiritual wisdom.
7. That Pastor Brett would be holy unto the Lord. That his tongue and heart would be wholly God’s.
8. That Pastor Brett would be kept from pride, and especially spiritual pride. That the Lord himself would be gracious to slay pride in him, and that your pastor would endeavor to always be putting pride to death, by the grace of the Holy Spirit.
9. That God would give Pastor Brett guidance as to where to focus his efforts in ministry.
10. That He would protect Pastor Brett from himself, from the enemy of his soul, and from all earthly enemies.
11. That no decision which Pastor Brett ever makes or desire that he ever pursues would restrict his ability to pour his whole soul into the Gospel ministry.
12.That many would be converted and many built up under Pastor Brett’s ministry, to God’s glory alone.
13. That the Lord would bless Pastor Brett’s wife, Lacey, with holiness and happiness, Gospel assurance and Gospel rest.
14. That God would make [your pastor] a decent husband and father.
15. That Pastor Brett would be a good friend to his wife, and love her self-sacrificially,
16. That Pastor Brett would be a good daddy to his children. That they would love God, their parents and the church.
17. That Pastor Brett would be a testimony in the home so that his wife might be able to respect him when he is in the pulpit, and so that Pastor Brett, will be able to feed her soul, along with the rest of the congregation.