From my message this past Sunday at Harvest Jacksonville… it’s amazing what happens to a person who trusts in Christ. 2 Corinthians 5.17 says, “If any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; old things have passed away. Behold, all things have become new.”
Monthly Archives: September 2014
Examine Yourself… Are You Truly a Christian?
A person is a Christian by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone to the glory of God alone. Works don’t contribute anything to our standing before God, but are simply evidence of our faith. Someone has said that the root is faith and the fruit is good works. You simply cannot be born again without it making a significant difference in your life. As 2 Corinthians 5.17 says, “If any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; old things are passed away. Behold, all things are become new.” The Bible also tells us to examine ourselves to make sure we are in the faith (2 Corinthians 13.5). The book of First John (in the New Testament) was written for that purpose. Near the end of the book it says: “These things I have written unto you so that you may know what you have eternal life” (emphasis mine). The entire book contrasts real faith with false faith. John MacArthur has come up with 11 questions based upon the tests of 1st John. Here they are:
11 Tests of True Faith
1. Do you Enjoy Fellowship with God and Christ?
2. Are you Sensitive to Sin in your Life?
3. Do you Obey the Scriptures?
4. Do you Reject this Evil World?
5. Do you Love Christ and eagerly await His Return?
6. Do you see a Decreasing Pattern of Sin in your Life?
7. Do you Love other Christians?
8. Do you Receive Answers to your Prayers?
9. Do you Experience the Ministry of the Holy Spirit?
10. Can you Discern between Spiritual Truth and Error?
11. Have you Suffered on Account of your Faith in Christ?
Now, it’s not like you have to score an A+ in all those areas. But if you have not seen a change in your life since professing faith in Christ, then you have reason to be concerned about your salvation.