Following up on my message this past Sunday on the gift of prophecy, here is some excellent counsel from Pastor J. D. Greear on how to give and to receive a prophetic word:
Ground Rules for Giving Words
- Never claim the authority of God on your words, even if you feel convinced the Holy Spirit might be speaking through you.
- Prophetic speech is strongest when tied to actual Scripture.
- The gift of prophecy has a purpose: building up the church and guiding in mission. Use it only for those things.
Ground Rules for Receiving Words
- It’s okay to be a little skeptical.
- Ask, “Does this word contradict what God has said in the Scriptures?”
- Ask, “Does this word accord with what I know God is doing in my life?”
- Ask, “Does this word glorify God or the one giving it?”
Greear has additional, helpful material under each of these points.It’s all found in chapter 10, pages 145-149 of his excellent book on the Holy Spirit, titled Jesus, Continued…